The Gayatri Mantra is one of the most revered Hindu Mantras which is chanted in almost every household in India. This page features audio extracts of the Gayatri Mantra which you can download and play on any mp3 player.
AUM BHOOR BHUWAH SWAHA,
TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM
BHARGO DEVASAYA DHEEMAHI
DHIYO YO NAHA PRACHODAYAT.
Summary of the Gayatri Mantra
ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेन्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात् ।।
Oh God! Thou art the Giver of Life, Remover of pain and sorrow, The Bestower of happiness, Oh! Creator of the Universe, May we receive thy supreme sin-destroying light, May Thou guide our intellect in the right direction.
Interpretation of the Gayatri Mantra
Oh God, the Protector, the basis of all life, Who is self-existent, Who is free from all pains and Whose contact frees the soul from all troubles, Who pervades the Universe and sustains all, the Creator and Energiser of the whole Universe, the Giver of happiness, Who is worthy of acceptance, the most excellent, Who is Pure and the Purifier of all, let us embrace that very God, so that He may direct our mental faculties in the right direction.
Download audio mp3s of the Gayatri Mantra
The ideal time to chant the Gayatri Mantra is during the three sandhyas of the morning (dawn), afternoon (noon) and evening (dusk). The most benefit may be obtained by chanting the mantra at least 3 times during each sandhya. The chanting of the mantra should be concluded by saying "Om Shantih, Shantih, Shantih" - this is done to provide Shantih or peace to the body, spirit and mind. It is said that each syllable of the Gayatri Mantra has been specifically formulated to energize specific chakras and provide healing energies for our major internal organs. Hence, the practitioner of this mantra would benefit greatly from paying particular attention to the pronunciation of each syllable.
- Download the Gayatri Mantra audio mp3 (190K)
- This is a beautiful rendition of the short version of the Gayatri Mantra in mp3 format by Rattan Mohan Sharma. The "Gayatri Mantra" CD includes a 40+ minute rendition of 108 repeated chants of the Gayatri Mantra. It is perfect to play in the background for your meditations. It remains one of my top favorites (6 tracks including 108-times chant of Gayatri)!
- Listen to the Gayatri Mantra (mp3 180K)
- Download a rendition of the Gayatri Mantra in mp3 format from the "Chants of India" CD by Ravi Shankar. This CD is a must for anyone interested in exploring other hindu mantras. This is one of the most frequently played albums on my ipod! All the tracks are excellent, including the Maha Mritunjaya Mantra.
- Listen to Invocation of the Gayatri Mantra (mp3 157K)
- The CD includes a 40+ minute rendition of repeated chants of the Gayatri Mantra. It is perfect to play in the background for your meditations. It remains one of my top favorites. ( from Gayatri Mantra: Hymn to the Spirit Within the Fire - see link above).
- Gayatri Mantra audio mp3 by Pandit Jasraj and chorus(143K, 18sec)
- This version of the Gayatri Mantra is found on the "MahaMantras" CD by Pandit Jasraj and various other artists.
- Gayatri Mantra audio mp3 by Anuradha Paudwal(218K, 28sec)
- This extract of the Gayatri Mantra is found on the "Gayatri Mantra" CD by Anuradha Paudwal. It contains the 108 repetitions of the mantra over a span of 55 minutes.
- Gayatri Mantra audio mp3 by Mahendra Kapoor(112K, 28sec)
- This version of the Gayatri Mantra is from the beginning of the "Om Jai Jagdish Hare" Aarati from the 1970s movie "Purab aur Paschim". Enjoy!
- Sai Baba sings the Gayatri Mantra
- External link - opens in new window